6 Aug 2013

ORANGE IS THE NEW... 
original series from Netflix, and I can safely say I am well and truly hooked. 

Yes Orange is the new Black is the latest in a string of original programming from Netflix's production line.
 The show follows the experiences of the privileged and pretty and oh so very naive Piper Chapman (Taylor Schilling) who finds herself suddenly behind bars for a drug smuggling crime she committed ten years previous. The show is from the creative mind responsible for Weeds, Mr Jenji Kohan, and although I have never been a passenger on the Weeds bandwagon, I know it has quite the following, and I predict very much the same, and hopefully more for Orange.
   The concept of this show isn't particularly original really, although I say this because it is somewhat reminiscent of ITVs Bad Girls, although executed in a very, very different manner, and very, very effectively. 
 There's a lot of reasons why this show works; but if I could highlight one particular aspect that makes this show worth delving into, it most definitely has to be the wonderful and engaging array of characters that Piper comes into contact with during her stay. I don't think you could wish for a much better assortment of female prisoners. If that's what you're looking for. 



Although this is essentially Piper's story, we are also given enough access into the individual stories of each of the other inmates, and I really enjoyed the way each character is introduced and approached. You really get a sense of their stories, mostly through flashbacks as each episode provides snippets of one particular inmates past, giving a greater sense of who they are and where they're from, but this flashbacks aren't too heavily relied upon, which is a good thing. Most definitely.
 Each of these women are where they are because they were found guilty of a crime, but what was most refreshing for me, was that the focus wasn't really why they were there. Yes certain aspects of their past are revealed, and we find out why some of these women have been locked up, but it really is more about forming characters that feel real and that make you believe in their truly diverse and engaging stories. As the season progresses, these characters slowly stop being characters on a screen, and for the most part become women that you begin to know and understand. There's a real balance in how everyone is represented, and the show gives you an opportunity to make up your own mind about who you care about, pointing at the good and the bad aspects of each person.



Personally I find Piper one of the most frustrating characters I've ever come across. This is not to say she is a badly written character, after all she is based on a real person; Piper Kerman, who's memoirs are the basis for the show, although I can't say I'm sure of how closely the character compares to the real-life Piper.
  Initially she is very innocent, sweet and adoring... quite the girl next door, but as the episodes progress this becomes less and less the case.
 When I finished the season after that climatic and satisfying ending, (as one would hope!) I thought about Piper objectively, forgetting that she is the protagonist, and I wondered... "Do I really feel for this woman?" And the answer was... "no, I really don't." But that's not necessarily a bad thing. No, it really isn't. My point being, the show is just as much about everyone else, as it is Piper. She just happens to be in the middle of most things.
 I won't drop any spoilers, but you will start to realise that we are dealing with a very confused and self-destructive character. She can be frustrating to watch sometimes, mainly because you wonder why she does what she does, and why she's so unfortunate around other people in general, but she can be equally endearing. Tapping back into her sweet middle-class roots.
 On the whole, she is the perfect protagonist, because she creates tension. And these are the types of characters that make for good television. She won't throw up any Walter White debates, but she definitely isn't perfect. Tension is paramount in drama, and Piper constantly manages to put herself in tense situations to her detriment. But hey! the outcome is some real good viewing!

Overall this is a really well thought out and intelligently written show, and it marries drama and a darker sense of humour extremely well. For a first season, this is well worth a watch. I;m not saying it blows roses out it's backside, because I know Orange won't be everyone's cuppa tea. However I do recommend giving it 2 episodes at least, because this is all about character progression and the transitions that are made throughout the series.

  I think the contrast between the type of person you initially believe Piper to be, and the harsh realities of prison life is a strong enough hook to keep you intrigued long enough, before then realising there really is something quite special going on here. I just hope season 2 manages to keep up the pace

Season One of ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK is now available on NETFLIX

  




No comments:

Post a Comment